Friday, February 8, 2013

Water, Water Everywhere

Since January 1st, I've lost 5 pounds! I have to attribute some of that weight loss to drinking more water.

I love 100% fruit juice (which I assumed was a healthy option when compared to soda and sweet iced tea) and really have no taste for plain old water. The only time I would drink water was after I brushed my teeth for the night, or when I'd wake up in the middle of the night with stiffened tight calf muscles (After years of randomly dealing with this problem, I found that water helped relieve the pain immediately).

It wasn't until recently that I was made aware of the high caloric content of 100% fruit juice. This choice in beverage was adding hundreds of calories to my daily diet, and providing nearly no nutritional benefits. Yummy, but not good for you. Drink more water!

Water facts:
  • The human body is made up of 57%-75% water
  • The earth holds 326,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons (i.e. 326 million trillion gallons) of all forms of water
  • 70% of the earth is covered by salt water (that's 98% percent of ALL water on the planet!)
  • 2% of the earth's water is fresh water
    • Of that 2%, 1.6% of the fresh water is frozen in polar ice caps and glaciers
    • 0.36% is hidden underground in aquifers and wells
    • About 0.036% of earth's total water supply is found in lakes and rivers

No comments:

Post a Comment