Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Landman Recipe: Beef, Corn, and Black Bean Chili

Although I'm not a trained chef, I've long-term dated a chef and had my share of Italian boyfriends. So food is NO stranger to me. I found that I'm much happier, healthier, and more energetic when cooking my own dinners, even when on the road.

Monday is "cheap beef day" at my local good-for-you grocery store. That means, every Monday I make something with ground chuck. Last night was crew-of-men-approved chili night.

My recipe makes six servings, each containing about 396 calories, with 36g carbs, 18g fat, and 19g protein. I've included the name brands of the ingredients I use, but you may substitute.

Beef, Corn, and Black Bean Chili

1 lb 80/20 ground chuck
1 packet Simply Organic spicy chili seasoning mix
1 can Progresso black beans
1 can Contadina tomato paste with roasted garlic
1 can (125 g) Rotel original diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 can (94 g) Green Giant mexicorn
1 can (7.8 oz) El Pato mexican hot style tomato sauce
1/3 medium Vidalia onion, diced
1/2 jalapeno, minced
2 tsp Florida Crystals organic cane sugar
1 tbsp Filipo Berio olive oil
3 oz (just over 1/4 bottle) Chimay Blue beer
1 tsp Mc Ilhenny Co. Tabasco Brand Pepper Sauce
1/2 tsp Morton's natural sea salt
1/2 tsp McCormick fresh ground black pepper

Pre-heat the olive oil your electric skillet (or pot on the stove) to about 275 degrees, or medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, then add your ground chuck. Chop up the ground chuck as much as possible using a spatula or cooking spoon so it cooks evenly. Don't forget to stir often so your chili doesn't stick to the pot.

Once the ground chuck is browned throughout, add the jalapeno, tabasco sauce, tomato paste, and hot style tomato sauce. When the pot begins to simmer, add the black beans and corn. Cook for two minutes, then add the Chimay, chili seasoning mix, sugar, sea salt, and black pepper. Allow the pot to simmer for fifteen minutes, continuing to stir as needed.

Serve with your choice of cheese, sour cream, raw diced onion, tortilla chips, Fritos, and the other 3/4 of that bottle of Chimay!

No comments:

Post a Comment